There is increasing pressure to reduce the quantity of persistent materials entering the environment. We have seen the significant environmental impacts caused by non-biodegradable products made from or containing materials such as plastics.
Responsible retailers and manufacturers must understand the end-of-life characteristic of the materials that they select. Where products cannot be recycled or re-used, they are likely to be landfilled or incinerated. Understanding how they behave in these scenarios via measurements and metrics is required to manage the impacts and make informed choices.
Several additional tests are available at Eurofins laboratories that measure other factors such as biodegradability, disintegration, and compostability. These terms are often interchangeable, but the outcomes differ, so requirements must be clear to ensure we provide the correct solution.
Eurofins offer the following biodegradability and disintegration tests
- Disintegration testing (ISO 20200); testing under simulated aerobic conditions which assesses the rate at which a material or product breakdown into particles over time
- Biodegradability testing (ISO 20136); testing that exposes materials to an inoculum in an aqueous media that assesses the aerobic biodegradation via CO2 production
Cosmetics and personal care biodegradability
Eurofins offers specialist biodegradability testing for cosmetics and personal care products in accordance with current regulations, including
- Ready biodegradability; OECD 301 A, OECD 301 B, OECD 301 D, OECD 301 F
- Intrinsic biodegradability; OECD 302 B, OECD 302 C
- Biodegradability and compostability of plastics; NF EN 14995, NF EN 13432, NF T 51-800
Leather ISO 20200 disintegration testing
Specialist leather disintegration and biodegradability testing services
- ISO 20200 modified for leather; traditionally used to evaluate the disintegration of plastics, at Eurofins, we offer modified ISO 20200 testing substituting plastic for leather with modified parameters
- ISO 20200 supplementary testing; supports the percentage disintegration results collected in ISO 20200 and ISO 20200 modified analysis with compost nutrient and toxicology testing on completion of the ISO 20200 testing
Eurofins offers compostability testing, part of which involves biodegradability testing, for consumer product packaging, food packaging and food contact materials.
Post biodegradability and disintegration testing
It is important to know if the degradant that remains after biodegradation/disintegration releases toxic or harmful chemicals when mixed with soil or other compost. Eurofins can provide Ecotoxicity and plant response testing on such degradants
- Ecotox testing; in accordance with the Eurofins TerrAttesT® measures hundreds of potential compounds that might be found in the degradants
- Plant response and weed tests; takes the compost created and incorporates these into soil growth media at known concentrations. The plant response is then executed with fast-growing salad crops.
- Specialist experience in leather, textiles, paper, packaging, plastics and cosmetics
- Multiple testing facilities
- Complete package from biodegradability to toxicity impacts and plant response
- Can be linked with the microplastic analysis of degradant
Why Eurofins Sustainability Services?
Specialist experience in leather, textiles, paper, packaging and plastics
Multiple testing facilities
Complete package from biodegradability to toxicity impacts and plant response
Can be linked with the microplastic analysis of degradant