The leather industry uses significant amounts of water, chemicals and energy, creating water, waste, and air pollution. It plays a significant role in social issues such as pollution and ill health.
As a by-product of the meat industry, leather is made from a natural and renewable resource. Without appropriate governance, it can have significant environmental and social impacts. The supply chain for leather is complex, and traceability and supplier transparency can be challenging. Countries where cattle heavily contributes to deforestation play an active part in the worldwide leather supply chain.
Leather is not typically used for products that are considered disposable items, and currently, there is no volume solution for the disposal of end-of-life leather products.
Eurofins aims to provide services that bring transparency, measurement, and metrics to leather supply chains. Eurofins has a leather competence centre in the Eurofins BLC Leather Technology Centre Ltd that provides specialist services to the leather sector.
- Supply chain mapping service – to identify raw material sources and understand the risks
- Leather Working Group audits of leather manufacturing operations against the Leather Working Group ESG standard
- Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) for a detailed understanding of manufacturing impacts
- Chemical testing of leather and synthetics
- Chrome VI testing, audits, and digital risk profiler
- MRSL testing of leather chemicals against various standards
- Biodegradability and disintegration testing of leather (various standards)
- Social audits of manufacturing operations
- Sustainability manufacturing strategies
- Sustainable Chemical manufacturing
- Sustainable Construction
- Sustainable Cosmetics and Personal Care
- Sustainable cotton
- Sustainable detergents
- Sustainable Electrical and Electronics
- Sustainable Farming
- Sustainable Food
- Sustainable Footwear
- Sustainable Furniture
- Sustainable hygiene, paper and pulp
- Sustainable Leather
- Sustainable Paper and Packaging
- Sustainable Textiles
- Sustainable Toys