With over Eight billion people on the planet to feed and changing eating habits, sustainable food is increasingly important. At the same time, food accounts for about 25% of greenhouse emissions released into our atmosphere.
Eurofins offers a broad range of sustainable food services to address the growing need for safe food whilst also protecting our planet.
Our services cover the whole food supply chain and life cycle ranging from sustainable farming and agriculture, research and development of food-based products, through to sustainability-related food testing services, packaging solutions and manufacturing waste management.
Sustainable food packaging and contact materials
Any products or materials intended to come into contact with food shall not
- Endanger human health
- Cause any unacceptable change in the composition of the foodstuffs
- Cause any deterioration of the organoleptic characteristics of the foodstuffs
Eurofins consumer product testing offers a range of testing and sustainable food packaging solutions for consumer food.
Sustainable food chemistry
Environmental pollution within our food supply chain due to human activity is leading to increased consumer-led self-regulated and legislative requirements, necessitating manufacturers to test food for harmful and toxic substances such as dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), and food allergens.
We offer sustainable food chemistry testing services and analysis to detect and quantify a range of substances found in our food supply chain.
Eurofins’ The National Food Lab (the NFL)
The NFL in the US offers a range of food services which can address sustainability concerns, from product design, consumer insights and sensory science, product and process development and agile innovation including
- Alternate and plant-based protein functionality evaluation
- Product formulation with alternate and plant-based protein sources
- Upcycling of spent ingredients and raw materials
- Reduction and elimination of synthetic preservatives
- Texture analysis of plant-based protein products
- Consumer focus groups on purchase intent for sustainable products
- Sensory and shelf life evaluation of sustainable packaging
Sustainable food development case studies
Eurofins’ The NFL food and beverage consumer product development services are extensive, offering existing and novel strategies for sustainable food. Examples of sustainable food projects undertaken are presented in our sustainable food case studies.
- Food contact materials and plastics
- Dioxins (PCDD/F) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) analysis in food
- Allergen testing in food
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in food
- Eurofins National Food Lab food and consumer product development
- Soil carbon check
- Sustainable packaging
- Sustainable farming
- Sustainable agriculture
- Sustainable waste
- Sustainable Chemical manufacturing
- Sustainable Construction
- Sustainable Cosmetics and Personal Care
- Sustainable detergents
- Sustainable Electrical and Electronics
- Sustainable Farming
- Sustainable Food
- Sustainable Footwear
- Sustainable Furniture
- Sustainable hygiene, paper and pulp
- Sustainable Leather
- Sustainable Paper and Packaging
- Sustainable Textiles
- Sustainable Toys