Electrical and Electronics (E&E) products play a part in nearly every aspect of our daily lives, from consumer devices to manufacturing technologies. The creation of electronic devices typically involves significant quantities of commodity materials, including metals such as lead, copper, mercury, plastics, and other casing components.
The Blacksmith Institute linked the mining of raw materials and manufacturing of these components to the most polluting industries on earth. Lead smelting and metal ore processing are ranked as the world’s 2nd and 3rd worst polluting industries. Adding to the challenges of the electronic industry, experts expect it to generate 120 million tonnes of e-waste by 2050, according to reports from the Platform for Accelerating the Circular Economy (PACE).
There is little recycling of electronic components despite many items containing precious metals. Where electronics recycling occurs, the conditions and hazards for the people involved are significant.
Electronic products also require energy, a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. Energy efficiency in devices is now a major factor in legislation, and the purchasing decision for consumers and businesses when selecting electronics.
Energy efficiency testing and Energy Star ratings
Eurofins provides energy efficiency assessments and is a recognized Energy Star assessor for a wide range of electronic equipment such as desktop computers, notebook computers, tablets, servers, luminaires, LED lighting, fluorescent lighting telephones, and vending machines, refrigerators etc.
Our laboratories can also perform Energy Star on-site and performs energy testing for Natural Resource Canada, California Energy Commission, and the EU Ecodesign Directive.
The following energy efficiency and certification services are available from our global team
- EU EcoDesign Directive 2009/125/EC
- EU Regulation (EC) 1275/2008, EU 801/2013 for power consumption limits
- Energy Labelling Directive EU 2017/1369
- Australia and New Zealand MEPS
- AS/NZS 4474.1 / 2 household refrigerated appliances
- AS/NZS 2040.1 / 2 electric washing machines
- AS/NZS 5815.1 / 2 computer monitors
- AS/NZS 4665.1 external power supplies
- Saudi Arabia
- SASO 2664,2892, IEC62552 household refrigerated appliances
- SASO 2885 electric washing machines
- SASO 2870, 2902, lighting products
- South Africa
- SANS 1691; household refrigerated appliances
- SANS 1695 electric washing machines
Chemical compliance testing for Electrical and Electronics
Eurofins Consumer Products Testing (CPT) offers a range of chemical testing for regulatory compliance in the Electrical and electronics industry.
REACH and RoHS
We offer chemical compliance testing to REACH and RoHS protocols for electrical and electronics (E&E) products.
Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)
Eurofins offers PFAS testing for Electrical and Electronic products including targeted testing and Total Fluorine (TF) and, or, Total Organic Fluorine (TOF) screening for all fluorine-containing chemicals using as an indicator of PFAS contamination.
- Sustainable Chemical manufacturing
- Sustainable Construction
- Sustainable Cosmetics and Personal Care
- Sustainable cotton
- Sustainable detergents
- Sustainable Electrical and Electronics
- Sustainable Farming
- Sustainable Food
- Sustainable Footwear
- Sustainable Furniture
- Sustainable hygiene, paper and pulp
- Sustainable Leather
- Sustainable Paper and Packaging
- Sustainable Textiles
- Sustainable Toys